Nov 26, 2013

Accountability

Let's talk accountability.  As a former student-athlete this is something that I always had surrounding me. Coaches, teammates, roommates, all holding me accountable to reach my goals.  I love this level of support, and honestly crave it.

While you need to be the driving force behind setting goals and keeping yourself on track to reach these benchmarks, surrounding yourself with people who push you and challenge you is always a great start.

When I graduated from college and retired from swimming I lost that sense of community.  It was this that had me lost and needing to find accountability groups to belong to, a world of unknown to me as I was just used to have it there.

It's been 10 years and I have become a much better self starter with exercise and fitness but it is greatly in part to the people that lift me up and motivate me.  My biggest accountability partners  are:

1.  My husband
2. My challengers

My team has recently started a morning workout group to serve as just what I am talking about, accountability. Boy, do I sure need this at 5:30 this morning.  Shockingly, as a swimmer most of my life, I am still not a fan of working out in the morning.  One would think after all the years I spend chasing a black line at the bottom of the pool I would enjoy getting my workout in first thing in the morning.  Nope. Not at all.  I like to have a cup of coffee, watch the news and then workout mid-morning or evening.  While this is my body's preferred time, my schedule thinks otherwise.

For the next 5 weeks, I have committed to waking up with my challengers before the sun comes, before the baby needs my attention, and before I find an excuse not to do it.  It's week two of this routine, and honestly, I like it.  The house is quiet, I am focused, and this early morning wake up even gives me enough time to get the dishwasher emptied before I head in to shower (emptying the dishwasher is my least favorite chore).

Who's your accountability partner?



 photo courtney-post-signature1_zpsa6911a6b.png
A Humble Bumble


No comments:

Post a Comment