Aug 8, 2013

What Are you Eating?

Lately this has been a question I have been getting, "what are you eating"?  For two weeks we restricted carbohydrates and ate things low in sugar.  Now, nearly 4 weeks later I am choosing to keep them out.  I feel better and so much more satisfied from foods that are not sweet and sugary.  To be honest, I don't really miss the sweet all that much. Yup, never thought I would ever say that!

So what are we eating?  Lots and lots of veggies and lean proteins.  This is really how I always ate, but I would also have a heaping pile of rice or pasta on the plate.  I've just removed that element and doubled up on the veggies.

Here are some of my favorite recipes.  Most of these things were already on my menu rotation, but they have been reinvented in some ways:

Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers:

  • 1lb ground turkey
  • 2 cups organic marinara sauce (I used Catelli Organics)
  • 1 tbsp basil
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 3 red bell peppers

Directions:
Pre-heat to 450.  Cook up the ground turkey and add marinara and spices. Let simmer for the flavors to incorporate. In the mean time, take the tops off the peppers, slice them in half and de-seed them.
Add spinach to turkey mixture and stir until wilted.  Distribute the turkey evenly to the halved red peppers and bake for 25 minutes.

Asian Maranated Steak
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup sherry
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 Tablespoons ginger dressing
  • 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
  • 2 flat iron or flank steaks
  • garnish: toasted sesame seeds and green onion slivers
Directions:  
Add all ingredients to blender and mix until combined.  Marinate 2-4 hours.  

Steak can be served on its own with sides of veggies, or over a bed of lettuce as a salad.

Chicken with Pesto, Tomato and Mozzerella
  • 1lb chicken breast
  • large bundle of pesto
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts (can use almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts)
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 roma tomatoes
  • small ball of fresh mozzarella
Directions:
Place pine nuts, basil, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in food processor.  slowly pour olive oil into processor and mix all ingredients until combined.  Prepare chicken (we like it grilled best).  In a skillet, combine chicken and pesto.  Top with mozzarella slices and roma tomato.  

I always make extra pesto and reserve some for tossing veggies in the next night.  There is not much better to me than basil.  Yum!


More recipes to come later.  I will be sure to post of lunch recipes because that is the one meal that is always lacking a lot of creativity for me!








 photo courtney-post-signature1_zpsa6911a6b.png

No comments:

Post a Comment