Aug 9, 2013

Day and Night

While it probably happened gradually, it seems like overnight my kid became a picky eater. Just as the hubs and I cut back on carbs, Bman has decided that's pretty much all he will eat. Except for eggs, (he crushes two in one sitting) he pretty much has decided his diet will consist of: pasta, pancakes, (homemade by moi) fruit, more fruit, chicken nuggets and sometimes toast.

I have become the parent that "hides" the veggies. If they are seasoned or tossed in sauce he will eat them, otherwise he throws them off of tray to the dogs. Sometimes he does what I like to call Houdinin- I'll think he has eaten his veggies when in reality, he is tossing them over the top of his head and when I remove him from his seat I find a mountain of vegetables. What gives?

When I was at his well visit last week I asked Dr. S about it and he said to not worry, it's just a phase. He shared all kiddos do it and just keep offering him a variety of foods.

Goodbye amazing eater and hello carbiholic baby. I guess he'll make up for what we are not eating.




Whole wheat pasta with zucchini, red peppers and summer squash in homemade pesto sauce. Kid loves pesto!




Whole wheat pasta with peas and chicken sausage in a homemade marinara. He loved this too! I'll post the super simple sauce recipe below.

Super Simple Marinara Sauce

21/2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves clove garlic (chopped fine)
21/2 pinches red pepper flakes (crushed)
28 ozs tomatoes (seeded and coarsely chopped)
28 ozs crushed tomatoes
2 sprigs fresh oregano (chopped fine about 1 tablespoon)
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (chopped fine)
131/2 fresh basil leaves (sliced thinly i usually stack them and use a scissors)
coarse salt
black pepper

Directions:

1. Heat deep skillet over medium-low to medium heat.
2. Add oil and garlic and crushed pepper flakes.
3. Let garlic begin to sizzle in oil (stir frequently to keep garlic from browning and turning bitter).
4. Add tomatoes and crushed tomatoes.
5. Stir in herbs and spices and let sauce come to a boil.
6. Reduce heat and let sauce simmer 10 minutes or until ready to serve.
7. Serve over your favorite pasta.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment