Aug 1, 2013

I'm a work In Progress...

Put caution tape around me because I am a work in progress.

These past three weeks of my diet, lifestyle and exercise overhaul have left a lot of time for reflection.  As I have mentioned in blog posts in the past, Aaron and I too often find ourselves wrapped up in the chaos of life.  It's the phase that we are currently in and I know we are not the only ones who feel this way.  However, this 'plan to a new me' has forced me to really take a good look at how we are handling life.

Eating on the fly and cooking convenience meals is a thing of the past.  When Aaron and I began the low glycemic diet nearly three weeks ago we had to really plan what we were going to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  For me, breakfast is always the most difficult because I refuse to wake up any earlier to prepare anything.  Before this change in diet, my go to breakfast was two pieces of wheat toast with peanut butter.  While all of those things are healthy, I would follow that up with more carbs for lunch, and even more for dinner.  We were eating a healthy amount of fruits and veggies, but again, it was about quantity and variety.  I was working out twice/week with Crossfit and running maybe two additional days a week.  Within the first few weeks of doing Crossfit I saw progress but then peaked.  Running is pure cardio for me, and while that is burning calories, I was eating way more than I was burning.  Hence, the need for change.

My plan in this overhaul is not weight loss.  I am not even really concerned about the number on the scale as much as I am about how I feel.  In fact, until a few days ago I didn't even own a scale.  However, with my new diet and exercise it's inevitable I would lose weight.  After nearly three weeks here are the numbers:

Beginning Weight: 143
Current Weight: 135

I am feeling amazing and rejuvenated.  I'm not doing anything that I cannot maintain and all of it is for the better.  I've said goodbye to unnecessary sugars (I'm eating fruit now, it was just removed for two weeks) and actually loving my new menu of healthy options.  What did I eat tonight?  Field greens salad with walnuts, tart cherries, and feta topped with a balsamic glaze.  Delicious!  Who needs pasta?

And... for the first time in 9 years...I can see ab muscles.  Oh yeah, baby!




 photo courtney-post-signature1_zpsa6911a6b.png




2 comments:

  1. 1. You look GREAT!
    2. Your blog has blown up and I just clicked your link to put my blog on bloglovin.
    3. How did you figure all those links out?!
    4. I love it all! I'll have to write a post about shakeology or eating fresh produce on a budget soon because I'm training for a marathon and trying to get in great shape, but it's not cheap! Suggestions?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much to learn in this blogging world and I am so behind the curve. Bloglovin is great. You guys should find some blog hops to do (like I have the Wildcard Wednedsay above. This is an excellent way to link up with people who have similar content. Which links are you talking about?

    Eating healthy on a budget is tough. However, I think the key is cooking at home and avoiding eating out. Not only do we make healthier, smarter decisions when we eat in, but we also save a tone of money! I find that I save the most when I go with a meal plan and a list and stick to it. Only buy ingredients and items that I need for that week and to not deviate from the plan. Most of my bill is produce so I try to buy what it in season and buy frozen veggies and fruits. They are picked when they are ripe and freeze dried to retain all of their nutrients. Frozen fruit is great in my shakeology, for pancake Sunday and B will eat them defrosted. My other tip would be to buy meat when it is on sale and stock up. My local Kroger had a HUGE meat sale and I bought 16, one lb. containers of organic beef for 3.49. Normally it retails at 6.99 so this was a steal. I popped it all in the freezer so I am good for months with beef. I have done the same with chicken and turkey.

    ReplyDelete