Jul 16, 2013

The New "Us"

One year ago today I posted this.  Aaron and I enjoyed one last night as just "us;" me, him and the pets.  One  year ago that was the only "us" that we knew.   

There is nothing that can truly prepare you for the arrival of your little one.  I was induced, so I knew exactly when B would arrive, and as someone who likes to plan and strongly dislikes surprises, this was excellent.  But like I said, there is nothing that can prepare you for that magical moment when you hold your baby for the first time.  Or that moment when you kiss your parter, who is now not only your husband, but a Daddy.  I don't think I ever loved Aaron more than that moment when he first looked at Brody.  It gives me chills to think back about it. 

As I reflect back on this past year I am comforted in knowing that all the stressors I had about how I'll be able to balance a career, a marriage, a home, and motherhood have been suppressed.  Brody is everything I dreamed and more.  He is loving, sweet, and the one I really prayed about, an excellent sleeper!  It's ridiculous how much I love sleep; thankfully, he has allowed Aaron and I to get a good amount of shut eye.

And while life looks very different than it did a year ago, (like how I can see my feet this year) it's a beautiful different.  I know some people say that your children give you purpose, and while I believe this to be true, I don't think that I lacked purpose before him.  Brody has enriched our life and allowed for us to see all the meaning we already had.  We created a perfect little being and that alone is more than I could ever ask for.

My greatest lesson learned this year would be to remember what the "us" used to be; this is the foundation for the new "us".  There are days we are lost in routines, running circles around each other and exhausted from the race that is life; however, we always make time for each other.  In the evenings after B is in bed we gather on the sofa, reflect on our day and love on our pups.  

Tonight as we settled into our evening ritual, we talked about this day one year ago.  The life we lived before B is a distant memory.  The new "us" is just a better version of what used to be.







Aaron and I taking a moment for ourselves last week and enjoying a night in Providence to celebrate 4 wonderful years of marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment