Jul 17, 2013

A Very Hungry Caterpillar Party!

Being that Bman's room resembles the sub-Saharan region of Africa, I assumed he would have a birthday party with a giraffe theme.  Then one afternoon while he and I were looking at books I remembered how much I love Eric Carle, particularly the Very Hungry Caterpillar.  And since it's his first birthday, it's really more about what I am in to rather than what he is into, right?  Only kidding, but he does have a great appetite so really the hungry part of the title was more than fitting for this little guy's first birthday party theme.

His party was held on July 7th at my sister's house in Massachusetts.  The weather was hot, and not just "wow, it's hot out," it was blazing hot!  The afternoon highs reached 94 degrees with close to 100% humidity.   It has been a long time since I have lived in New England and I forgot how incredibly humid it is in the summer.  None the less, we partied and had a fabulous time. And out guest of honor, Brody, certainly enjoyed his celebration!

 The amazingly delicious smash cake and cupcakes from Crazycakes

 Food inspired by the classic book: fruit skewers of pears, strawberries, plums, blueberries, and pineapple; watermelon, cherry pies, cheese, and brownies (chocolate cake).  I forgot to cook the pigs in a blanket (sausage) and to slice the salami. Oops!

 Brody's birthday banner.  Missing month 12 because we will take that TODAY! 



Chocolate bars wrapped with a thank you note from Bman.
 Brody with my oldest childhood friend, Joleen.

 Cousin Liam escaping the heat in his air conditioned Cozy Coupe.  Only kidding, not air conditioned but he is looking cool in his car.
 Bman and Daddy
 Our attempt at a family photo
 Pre-cake snack of some delicious watermelon.  Had to squeeze something healthy in...

 "Is that for me"?  Love his face in this picture.  The cousins are gathered close to help blow out the candle.

 Is this a kid who likes cake, or what?  
 My favorite picture of B and I from that day.. such a sweetie, sharing some of his smash cake with me!
 He would have eaten the whole thing if we would have let him.  Aaron was freaking out a bit so I only let him eat half.  C'mon Aaron, you only turn one once!  Well, in his case he has now had two cakes and will have another one tonight.  Just a cupcake, not a whole cake.

Daddy and cousin Addy helping Bman open his presents.

This is such a bittersweet time.  While I am so excited for the year to come, (toddler hood is definitely an area I am much more knowledgeable) this year has been amazing. 

Happy Birthday, Brody (aka B, Bman, and Brodyman)!  We love you more than you love cake, way more than you could ever love cake.  Trust us on this one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment