Oct 14, 2011

Hokie Nation

Six Saturday's in the fall this town is transformed into Hokie Nation. People come from near and far to cheer on their beloved team. The first weekend I witnessed this it was truly an experience. RV's furnished with multiple 60" televisions, tailgate food galore, backyard games such as corn hole, coolers packed with beer, and tables set up with a full service bar. They set up shop around 6 am and it's a full day of tailgating!

We were so fortunate to have two of our dearest friends from Buffalo come stay with us this past weekend as well as Aaron's Dad and his wife Shirley. Mike and Rebecca were amazed by the car decals, flags and mailboxes as they drove to our house on Friday afternoon- I assured them they were in for a treat come game day.

We took a long walk on Saturday through campus and downtown so I could further illustrate for them the love this town has for the Hokies. Although I have been part of two Universities neither one were quite as proud of their team.

It really does feel nice to be in a community where everyone is so proud of what sustains them. Without VT Blacksburg would just not be what it is. When I lived in Athens it was similar to this but game day just exemplifies how wide the love is for this school.

The game is such an experience- 78,000 fans yelling and screaming. This past week the game was super exciting and the Hokies pulled off a win against Miami. I took a video and once I figure out how to post I will. Here are a few photos from my phone:



No comments:

Post a Comment