Mar 24, 2013

Pancake Sunday

For the past eight weeks or so Sunday mornings have come to be known as Pancake Sunday in our house.  Once Brody started to eat table food I began to find new ways to offer him food. It turns out that pancakes are an excellent food for those learning how to use their hands and chew solids.  They (pancakes) are large enough for him to grab and also soft enough for him to mash between his gums.  I am also a huge fan of pancakes but never took the time to make them for myself.  As a family they have become Sunday treat. 

I have explored the Internet and also Pinterest hoping to find new variations of this delicious breakfast item.  Most recipes are not ones I am quite ready to introduce to Bman, even though the cinnamon bun with iced glaze sounds amazing, I'm not sure we are there yet.  Pancakes are so simple to whip up from scratch even myself who hardly ever bakes has most ingredients for pancakes on hand.

This morning I made lemon and blueberry pancakes.  I waited until after Brody's morning nap before I made them because I thought Aaron would be home from Indianapolis in time to enjoy.  However, after a cancelled flight, redirected through Charlotte and a 3 hour drive to Bburg, Aaron walked in the door just before 5:30 this evening.   We were sure to leave Aaron plenty of pancakes to try at a later time.  The recipe I used made 16 large pancakes so it looks like Aaron and Brody can eat pancakes tomorrow (and probably Tuesday morning too.)

This recipe came from the blog: Add a Pinch.  I think I will be visiting this women's blog again because not only were these yummy but she had lots of other great recipes too!

Ingredients
2 cups flour, self-rising --- I used whole wheat self-rising instead
3 tablespoons sugar-- I used only 1 tablespoon- didn't want to use to much sugar since Bman was eating them 
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk -- I used skim milk-it's what we had on hand
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 eggs
3 tablespoons butter, melted + butter for griddle and serving-- I used two tablespoons... that was all I had
1 cup fresh blueberries-- I used frozen... again, just what I had :)
zest of 1 lemon

 
Instructions
1.Combine dry ingredients and gently whisk through to mix.
2.Add lemon juice to whole milk and let stand for about five minutes to create a buttermilk substitute.
3.Add eggs and melted butter to milk mixture and whisk to combine.
4.Combine wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Add in blueberries and lemon zest and gently stir to combine.
5.Heat griddle over medium heat. Prepare griddle with butter. Drop 1/4 cup scoops of batter onto griddle. Cook about 2 minutes, until pancake has cooked on the bottom and set on top. Flip once.
6.Top with a touch of butter while still piping hot.
7.Serve hot with your favorite maple or pancake syrup.

As you can see I never follow recipes exactly as they are written.  This would be why I am generally a much better cook than baker; my baked good never come out the same way twice.  I tend to bake more like Rachel Ray- a pinch of this, a dash of that... Luckily, pancakes seem to be pretty forgiving when it comes to accurate measurements.


 In other news, I think we are only days away from a moving baby... look at this guy getting ready to crawl!




No comments:

Post a Comment