Jul 15, 2012

Freezer Meal Marathon

This activity would have been way easier 3 weeks ago when I first started my list but with a power outage and weekend laziness I finally got around to actually finishing the task.

I had been researching recipes and wanted to find things which were both healthy and satisfying as well as meals which would freeze well. I found a ton of crock-pot ideas but decided against most of them because I am not the biggest fan of some of the sauces and textures you get when the chicken or pork cook for 5-6 hours in the pot. I ended up with more carb based meals than I wanted but I knew they'd freeze and reheat well and to be honest we love pasta meals. Pair it with a salad and it's healthy right? I did used whole wheat noodles and either lean cut meats or turkey.


The menu:

Lasagna
Shepard's Pie
Baked Ziti with Chicken Sausage
Turkey and Bean Chili
Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs
Grape Jelly Turkey Meatballs
Shredded Chicken

I made two pans of the top three items, filled three gallon sized bags of chili , two gallon sized bags of the meatball recipes and two gallon sized bags of shredded chicken. We use the shredded chicken for tacos, burritos, on pizza, etc. So in total, that's about 20 meals since the pans of food will last more than one meal and the shredded chicken totals about 4 pounds.

This was my first time attempting freezer cooking and honestly I'd do it again. Although it was a lot of chopping and peeling, I am hoping it makes my life so much easier in the next few weeks. Oh, and it was actually pretty cheap to do. All of my ingredients totaled $100-I think we have a lot of food for that amount! It would probably pay off to buy the meat when's it's on sale but with my time constraint I just bought what I needed today.

Now, I rest and enjoy the wonderful smells in my home. Phew! That was exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment