Mar 5, 2012

Desperate For A Vacation...

Aaron and I really want to take a vacation before the baby comes.  It will be our last vacation as the two of us and we really feel it is important.  The only thing holding us back in terms of booking is the timing.  Aaron's "down time" starts once school ends in early to mid May and for me I am pushing it with plane travel after mid to late May.  Time off is also a concern, I don't want to use too much of my accrued vacation time because that will essentially be my maternity leave (I will have acquired 5 weeks paid before I leave.)  Decisions, decisions....

The beach is really important to Aaron.  Although I love the water, I am not a huge fan of the beach.  The sand and the salty water are all just annoyances to me.  Don't get me wrong, I love to go in the ocean but a week sitting on the beach is sort of boring to me.  So I am trying to find a balance of beach for Aaron and some "sites" for me.  However, all this really needs to be crammed in to a long weekend.  Oh, and we'd like to go somewhere we have never been =)

I have always wanted to go to Savannah, GA.  I don't know why, but I have heard amazing things about it.  It is not far from the ocean but also has a good mix of shopping and food.  Two of my favorite things.  It is a car drive- about 6 hours so we could in theory go in June... but again it depends on Aaron's schedule since it is an Olympic year and he has lots of athletes training for Trials.

Second destination of choice would be the Florida Keys.  Again, a place neither of us have ever been but would love to go.  This would be a combination of both flight and car and obviously not as close.  This trip could probably happen no later than June 1st and seems like a lot to cram in to a long weekend.  The Keys would again be a great balance for both Aaron and I of beach sitting and exploring all the area has to offer.

I am anxious to book a trip but am going to consult with my doctor next week about flight travel after 30 weeks.  I know for most pregnant women it is not typically an issue but since I am on blood thinning medication and considered high risk I don't know what they advise.  Hopefully he gives the green light about air travel and this will just really open up more "babymoon" options.

If you have been to either location please feel free to weigh in and give us your input.  We'd love to hear about your favorite things to do are in each of these locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment