Jan 26, 2012

The End of the Beginning

Today marks 14 weeks for me and also the end of the first trimester.  With the exception of being a little tired and some slight food aversions I have felt really well.  No terrible morning sickness or headaches so I guess I will just chalk myself up as one of the lucky ones who doesn't feel awful for the first 12 weeks or so.  At my 12 week appointment I had gained a pound (which honestly surprised me... I thought I had gained at least 5!)  My next appointment is at 16 weeks and I would imagine I'll be up a few pounds from week 12.  My clothes still fit but I definitely look a little thicker in the middle.

According to pregnancy.com





When you are 14 weeks pregnant, your baby is about 3 to 4 inches long. He or she weighs about 1 ounce. All of the baby's nourishment is being received from the placenta. The placenta has also taken over all hormone production from the ovaries. These hormones will continue to play a vital role in maintaining your pregnancy along with the changes in your body.
The baby is now about 12.5 cms or 4.92 inches. Your baby is now producing urine and actually urinating into the amniotic fluid. It also can practice "breathing" the amniotic fluid in and out of its lungs.
Your baby will start to get covered with a soft, fine hair over its body called lanugo. The lanugo will be shed before he or she is born and replaced with thicker, coarser hair. Your baby's sex organs have fully differentiated into male or female.
Other fetal development that occur around week 14 of pregnancy include the ears having moved from the neck onto the head, complete digestive glands, the thyroid starts to produce hormones, and the vocal chords are complete. Your baby will begin to inhaling and exhaling.


No comments:

Post a Comment