Nov 23, 2009

Um, slacker?

Well, I have clearly entered the world of being a blogging slacker. In fact I feel that way in many areas of my life. I feel like I can't keep up with the house, the laundry, friendships, family.... the list just goes on and one. However, with the semester winding down and football season coming to an end, I will have some more time on my hands. Phew. I am looking forward to having some time at work to catch up with my paperwork on my desk and reconnect with everyone I feel so distant from right now. Also, it's the holiday season, so what's not to be excited about?

Speaking of the holidays, I made a Hazelnut Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving. I saw it on the Food Network this weekend and I was salivating just watching. So, I went to the store and gave it a whirl tonight. One little side note. I went to Wegmans (my grocery of choice) and where the canned pumpkin is was a big sign that read, "all out of canned pumpkin due to a national shortage." What?!?! I was seriously so angry about the situation. I thought about putting back all the ingredients, but I thought I would try Tops for the pumpkin puree. And, sure enough they were not suffering from this same "national shortage." So to those of you still needing to collect any canned pumpkin for Thanksgiving, you may find a "shortage."

Here is the recipe if interested:

Ingredients

  • 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 tablespoons hazelnut creamer, divided
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

To make crust, mix graham crackers, sugar, 1 tablespoon of hazelnut creamer and butter until combined. Press into a 9 to 10-inch springform pan or cake pan making sure to press mixture up the sides and bottom as well, set aside.

For filling, in a large bowl mix in order cream cheese, brown sugar, eggs 1 by 1 and pumpkin puree. In a small cup stir remaining 2 tablespoons of hazelnut creamer, allspice and salt into heavy cream. Pour heavy cream mixture into pumpkin mixture and blend until combined. Pour into crust and bake for 35 minutes or until the center sets. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.


** I am a terrible baker, I mean really awful. Except Chocolate Chip Cookies. I can make a mean cookie. But, anything with many ingredients and lots of measuring is certainly sure to fail with me. I cook Rachel Ray Style- no measuring. Just a dash here and a pinch here.

We will travel on Wednesday to spend the holiday with Aaron's family. Then, we are off to Kent, OH to watch UB play their final football game of the season. Our dearest friends, the Kesicke's live very close to Kent so we will spend, what I am sure will be a fabulous evening with them in Hudson. Willis, will also be traveling with us in tow and he is looking forward to going to Ohio for the first time =)

1 comment:

  1. First of all, YUM to the pie! I will definitely try to make that. Second, not only am I jealous that you'll be hanging with the Kesicke's but Willis is going to be there too??!!!! I fully expect him to come to Columbus in December!!

    ReplyDelete