Sep 21, 2013

Paleo Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins

We are still experiencing temperatures in the mid to upper 70's in the afternoon, but once the sun goes down our temps dip well into the 50's, and sometimes below.  For me this means it's time to bust out the fall decorations and cook (and drink) all things pumpkin.  Thank you Pinterest and various Facebook pages, as well as friends for suggesting and sending lots of delicious recipes my way.

I am not paleo, but like the idea of being paleo.  I would say I am about 80% there; I cannot cut out all dairy because I love cheese way to much.  I don't really want to be 100% paleo but have incorporated many of the beliefs into my lifestyle.  No refined sugar, grass-fed raised meet, lots of eggs, fresh organic fruits and veggies, refined oils etc.

Paleo Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:
6 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup pumpkin puree (can be canned or fresh, if fresh, cook, cook and strain excess water from your pumpkin before using it in this recipe.  I used canned because who has time to cook their pumkin puree)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut flour (or sub 1/3 cup almond flour- gives a nuttier flavor)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (or mix equal parts of all spice, cinnamon and nutmeg)
1/2 cup fresh cranberries (can use raisins or tart cherries as well)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F
Whisk the eggs, pumpkin, coconut oil, pure vanilla extract, and maple syrup or honey together in a large mixing bowl. 
Sift in the coconut flour, sea salt, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice and stir until well combined. Gently fold in the cranberries.
In a muffin tin, scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into each lined muffin cup (natural parchment muffin papers work best for lining), and bake for 35-40 minutes.

*Adapted from Balanced Bites




Simply delicious, filling, and a little more healthy than a traditional muffin.  I dare you to have only one!

 photo courtney-post-signature1_zpsa6911a6b.png

1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious! I may have to try that recipe next weekend. I pretty much love anything that is pumpkin flavored. :)

    ReplyDelete