Feb 8, 2012

And The Obsession Continues...

With Pinterest of course.  If you still have not checked out this site I warn you to proceed with caution.  It is highly addictive but in my opinion can be highly useful as well.  When I first joined in September I would wander aimlessly through all the categories but now I find myself using it more as a resource.  My biggest use for it: recipes. I have mentioned several times how I have felt creatively stunted in the kitchen and Pinterest has helped a bit in this area.  And now that I have some more energy in the evenings I feel I am better able to prepare a nutritious meal for Aaron and I.  For awhile dinner consisted of pasta, cereal or whatever I could muscle down the energy to eat and prepare.  I know holy carbs!

Aaron and I love Mexican/Southwestern inspired meals.  Typically this type of cuisine is a weekly staple in our house.  When we lived in Ohio we ate weekly (sometimes twice a week) at our favorite "Mexican" restaurant, Casa Nueva.  I say Mexican with the quotes because for those of you who love and know Casa know that it is more like hippy, modern Mexican but either way fabulous!  We miss it everyday.  When we moved away from Ohio I worked on mastering the burrito.  Although I have never even come close to recreating anything you could get at Casa it was still a meal we enjoyed almost weekly.  I would use fresh and seasonal ingredients (just like Casa) and bake them off with a little Salsa on top.

To find a spin on the 'Courtney' burrito, I cruised Pinterest on Monday looking for ideas and I found this one from Cooking Light Magazine:



Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken breast
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup refrigerated fresh salsa
  • 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
  • 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

1. Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in shredded chicken and green onions.
2. Combine beans and salsa. Spoon 1/4 cup bean mixture and 1/2 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 2 burritos. Place a cast-iron or other heavy skillet on top of burritos, and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan, and repeat procedure with the remaining 2 burritos.
-----------------------------------------

I have always seasoned whatever eat I use but this recipe was really flavorful.  I also added avocado because lately I cannot get enough of the delicious green fruit. This might be my only craving worth noting so far.

If you would like to get on Pinterest let me know and I can send you an invite to join. I know some people have been saying they are unable to join without an invitation.  I'll hook you up =)

No comments:

Post a Comment